Team TaylorMade's Collin Morikawa wins his first major - the PGA Championship - using TaylorMade's SIM driver and TP5 ball.
Since turning professional and joining Team TaylorMade in June 2019, Collin Morikawa has played stellar golf winning twice on the PGA TOUR in that timespan and has now collected his first major the PGA Championship at TPC Harding Park.
WHAT'S IN COLIN'S GOLF BAG?
Driver: TaylorMade SIM (8° Mitsubishi Tensei White 70TX shaft)
Fairway Wood: TaylorMade SIM (14°, MRC Diamana D+ 80TX shaft)
Hybrid: TaylorMade SIM Max (Tensei White 100TX)
Irons: TaylorMade P750 (4-5) TaylorMade P7TW (6-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold X100 shafts)
Wedges: TaylorMade Milled Grind 2 (52°-09) Titleist Vokey SM8, (56°-14, 60°-08, True Temper Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400 shafts)
Putter: TaylorMade TP Juto
Ball: TaylorMade TP5X
Shoes: Adidas Tour 360
It was a course familiar to Collin, who played it more than a dozen times during his 4-year collegiate career at the University of California, Berkley. That experience proved to aid him down the stretch, as the event turned into a horse race with upwards of 8 players having a legitimate shot at the coveted Wanamaker Trophy. The former California Golden Bear won his first major just miles away from the Golden Gate Bridge and his alma mater. Now the man who began his professional career with 22 consecutive made cuts, has as many majors as missed cuts. At just 23-years-old, the sky is the limit for this young champion. Shooting a final round of 64 to win by two, Collin closed in spectacular fashion by driving the green on 16 with his SIM driver to make an eagle and get to -13 under for the tournament.
NEED TO KNOW MORE ABOUT COLIN MORIKAWA
- Collin now has one major and two PGA TOUR wins under his belt since turning pro in June 2019
- Collin is the third youngest winner of the PGA Championship at 23 years, 6 mths and 3 days
- Morikawa has jumped to world no.5 in the OWGR ranking
- Collin would actually be world no.1 if his OWGR points were divided by the 28 events he has played so far versus the minimum 40 divisor that the OWGR uses
- Collin's 64 was the lowest final round by a PGA Champion ever
- Collin joins Jack, Tiger and Rory as the only players to win the PGA Championship at 23 years old
- With his win, Morikawa now gets a lifetime exemption into the PGA Championship, as well as five year exemption in the Masters, US Open, The Open and PGA TOUR
- Morikawa's closing 36 holes was the lowest by any champion in men's major history
- Collin led the field at TPC Harding Park in SG: Total, SG: Putting, Driving Accuracy (%) and Approach Shot (proximity to the hole)
- In his first 28 starts as a professional, Collin has 1 major, 2 PGA TOUR wins, 6 Top 10s and just one missed cut (Tiger's record in his first 28 starts as a professional are 1 major, 6 PGA TOUR wins, 8 Top 10s and also just one missed cut)
- Six of the Top 10 and ties at the PGA Championship trusted the TaylorMade SIM driver
- Team TaylorMade athletes now occupy 4 of the Top 5 in the world spots: 1. Jon Rahm, 3. Rory McIlroy, 4. Dustin Johnson and 5. Collin Morikawa